Monday, November 27, 2017

I Know What You Did Last Summer, Nancy Pelosi

I know what you did last summer, Nancy.

I know you have been plotting with your minions to strip Mr. Conyers of his chairmanship for quite some time.

I know you have been plotting to take Mr. Conyers out of congress, for quite some time, also.

I know how your tried to do it.

I know why you tried to do it.

And I know who you did it with.

Perhaps, it is time you retire, gracefully, Nancy.

I know you shall do the right thing.




CHUCK TODD:
Joining me now is House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California. Leader Pelosi, welcome back to Meet the Press.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Morning. My pleasure to be here.
CHUCK TODD:
Happy Thanksgiving weekend.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you, and congratulations on 70 years.
CHUCK TODD:
Thank you. Thank you for that. We're now 71. I'm going to go back into our wayback machine here. Here's you on Meet the Press, asked specifically about allegations against President Clinton. Here's what you said back in 1998.
(BEGIN TAPE)
TIM RUSSERT:
Why the silence when there have been these allegations, serious ones, about President Clinton?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, I'd like to say that I think that the women of America are speaking out about what they think about this whole situation. And the women of America are just like other Americans in that they value fairness, they value privacy, and do not want to see a person with uncontrolled power, uncontrolled time, uncontrolled, unlimited money investigating the president of the United States.
(END TAPE)
CHUCK TODD:
That's back then. And look, both Senator Gillibrand and Mayor de Blasio were basically making the argument that our culture's changed, and that, today, same allegations probably would have led Democrats, perhaps like yourself, to call for his resignation. You can have a debate about whether it was an impeachable offense, but whether he had the moral standing to stay in office. Do you agree with this idea that this is a generational change that we're experiencing?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, I think it's obviously a generational change. But let me just say the concern that we had then was that they were impeaching the president of the United States, and for something that had nothing to do with the performance of his duties, and trying to take him out for that reason.
But let's go forward. Let's go forward. I think that something wonderful is happening now, very credible. It's 100 years, almost 100 years, since women got the right to vote. Here we are, almost 100 years later, and something very transformative is happening. That is, women are saying, "Zero tolerance, no more, and we're going to speak out on it." And this is so wholesome, so refreshing, so different.
CHUCK TODD:
But why do you think the reaction was different by women on Bill Clinton? And I say that because it does seem as if, frankly, when you watch some of the reactions by the president in defending Roy Moore, or at least overlooking the allegations against Roy Moore, that, were you putting politics ahead of your personal disgust?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
No, but we're talking about a child molester. This is--
CHUCK TODD:
Okay, but--
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
We're talking about a child molester.
CHUCK TODD:
But President Clinton was accused of being a sexual predator.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well--
CHUCK TODD:
And of even rape at one point, by one accuser.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Why don't we talk, instead, about how we go forward. Nobody is proud of President Clinton's behavior at the time. But he was being impeached--
CHUCK TODD:
But I think the reason there's a re-litigation of this is that, I think the concern is that we allowed the erosion, that the reason we're at this moment and the reason it got worse over the last 20 years is because of the way we handled it collectively then. Do you buy that argument?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
No. I buy that the election of President Trump, really, as your presenter said earlier, just evoked a response. So many women, and this is really important, I think, to note, because I've heard from so many women in the last few months, in fact, I heard, around the time of Anita Hill, so many women who've had a bad experience.
And now they're saying, "I had a bad experience, and now a person who possibly engaged in that activity is the president of the United States. I'm speaking out." So I think, as your presenter said earlier--
CHUCK TODD:
It was me, actually.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Was that your voice?
CHUCK TODD:
Yes, that is my voice. That's okay.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Then you had it right when you said Harvey didn't evoke this, the election of President Trump evoked what happened to Harvey. And now everybody is served notice.
CHUCK TODD:
Right.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Let's go forward. Let's talk about, okay, let's learn from past decisions and go forward.
CHUCK TODD:
So define zero tolerance. You said there’s now a zero tolerance.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Yes.
CHUCK TODD:
John Conyers. What does that mean for him? Right now. In or out?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
We are strengthened by due process. Just because someone is accused -- and was it one accusation? Is it two? I think there has to be -- John Conyers is an icon in our country. He has done a great deal to protect women -- Violence Against Women Act, which the left -- right-wing -- is now quoting me as praising him for his work on that, and he did great work on that. But the fact is, as John reviews his case, which he knows, which I don’t, I believe he will do the right thing.
CHUCK TODD:
Why don’t you?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Excuse me. May I finish my sentence?
CHUCK TODD:
Sure, sure.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
That he will do the right thing.
CHUCK TODD:
And is the right thing what? Resign?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
He will do the right thing in terms of what he knows about his situation. That he’s entitled to due process. But women are entitled to due process as well.
CHUCK TODD:
But he took advantage of a situation where he had a - the rules of Congress and I know you guys want to change these rules, but he got to hide his settlement, he got to - his accusers had to go through all sorts of craziness, so why is he entitled to new due process in this case?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
No, I I - we are talking about what we have heard. I’ve asked the Ethics Committee to review that. He has said he’d be open - he will cooperate with any review.
CHUCK TODD:
Do you believe the accusers?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Excuse me?
CHUCK TODD:
Do you believe John Conyers’ accusers?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
I don’t know who they are. Do you? They have not really come forward. And that gets to --
CHUCK TODD:
So you don’t know if you believe the accusations?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, that’s for the Ethics Committee to review. But I believe he understands what is at stake here and he will do the right thing. But all of these non-disclosure agreements have to go. By the way, some of them are there to protect the victim because they didn’t want some of it to be public. But that’s over. In other words, if the victim wants to be private, she can be -- he or she can be.
CHUCK TODD:
I guess it goes back to what is this line? What is a fireable offense? You say it’s zero tolerance.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Yes.
CHUCK TODD:
But zero tolerance -- what does that mean if you’re saying John Conyers, who already had due process, gets to stay right now.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
As I said, we’ve asked for the Ethics Committee to review that. He, I believe, will do the right thing. It’s about going forward.
CHUCK TODD:
Where are you on Senator Franken?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, same thing. I don't think that you can equate Senator Franken with Roy Moore. It's two different things. So, you know, let's have some discernment.
CHUCK TODD:
So you would accept an apology right now from Al Franken if there's no other accusers, or if all we know are what we know?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, also, his accusers have to accept an apology. The victims have some say in all of this, as well. And that has happened in the past. People have accepted an apology, as is coming forth now that I see in the press. But we didn't know, because there was a nondisclosure agreement to protect the victim. Sometimes they didn't want to be public. Sometimes they did. So now they will have their choice.
But this is about going forward. And when we go forward, we will address all of that. But we also have to address it for every person, every workplace in the country, not just in the Congress of the United States. And that's very important. And a good deal of that would be done by the Judiciary Committee.
CHUCK TODD:
Okay.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
And I know that John would take that into consideration.
CHUCK TODD:
You have one member has already, Gregory Meeks has already called for him to be withdrawn as ranking member.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
No.
CHUCK TODD:
Isn't that something in your power? Can't you decide that he should be suspended on ranking member on Judiciary, of all committees for him to be ranking on?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
You have to remember that this all happened during the Thanksgiving break. When we come together at the beginning of this week, I think John will do the right thing.
CHUCK TODD:
You're not going to unilaterally make this decision?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
I'm not sharing that with you right now. But what I am saying is this is a big distraction, and it's very, very important. Do you know that the beginning of the Women's Movement, Elizabeth Cady Stanton lived in Seneca Falls. And she would hear down below examples of family domestic violence. And that was one of the motivators for her to advance the cause of women.
CHUCK TODD:
Right.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
So this is as old as-- well, it's old as civilization, probably.
CHUCK TODD:
Right.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
But in terms of our history, in terms of the women's movement, one of the motivators. Now, 100 years after her fight for the right of women to vote, we will clear the deck on this. But I am here to talk about something also transformative in our society, and that is this tax bill that the Republicans have put forth.
CHUCK TODD:
And I want to get into this. But there seems to be a bit of a political paralysis here. I'm trying to figure this out.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
That isn't. It isn't. We're moving. This week we will pass bipartisan legislation for mandatory anti-harassment, anti-discrimination behavior, A. B) we will then take the larger issue, which has to pass both houses of the Congress for ending the nondisclosure, ending of who pays, all of the concerns that we have about this.
But I don't think that it should-- I think that we want to give people hope. This is going to be addressed. Women have spoken out. Their concerns will be addressed in a way that I think will give comfort, as well as end this behavior.
CHUCK TODD:
All right.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Because you know what? It's disgusting, it's repulsive, and it has to be zero tolerance.
CHUCK TODD:
Will you support Congress retroactively making public all of these private settlements that taxpayer dollars have been used?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Not necessarily. Sometimes the victim does not want that to happen.
CHUCK TODD:
But if the victim wants it public, will you side with the victim?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
What I have-- yes. But what I--
CHUCK TODD:
100%?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Well, here's the thing. It's really important.
CHUCK TODD:
Okay.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Because there is a question as to whether the Ethics Committee can get testimony if you have signed a nondisclosure agreement. We're saying we think the Ethics Committee can, but if you don't agree, we'll pass a law that says the Ethics Committee can, a resolution in Congress that the Ethics Committee can.
CHUCK TODD:
All right.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
But there's no-- I don't want anybody thinking there's any challenge here to our changing the law and see how people-- when we know more about the individual cases. Well, because you know what our biggest strength is? Due process that protects the rights of the victim, so that, whatever the outcome is, everybody knows that there was due process.
CHUCK TODD:
Leader Pelosi, unfortunately for time, I have to end it there. Appreciate your coming on.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
You mean we're not even going to talk about taxes?
CHUCK TODD:
I'm--
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
See, you have fallen into the place where they are doing something that's going to increase the debt enormously.
CHUCK TODD:
We're--
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
It's going to be a job killer.
CHUCK TODD:
I've been covering it a lot.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
A job killer.
CHUCK TODD:
Just finish this thought.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
And it's going to raise taxes on the middle class. And that has a big impact on individual lives of all Americans. And really, we should be spending more time on that.
CHUCK TODD:
Do you think this other issue isn't as serious as taxes?
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
I think it's eno-- look, as a woman, mother of four daughters, I think it's enormously important. But I think that we have to have a balance in how we go forward. Because this is giving the--
CHUCK TODD:
I struggle with this myself every day.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
This is giving them cover.
CHUCK TODD:
Okay.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
There are so many reasons that we should be concerned about the Republican majority in Congress.
CHUCK TODD:
I am going to be asking a Republican across the aisle some of these questions in a few minutes. Anyway, Leader Pelosi, I have to leave it there.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Yeah. Well, thank--
CHUCK TODD:
I appreciate it.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Yeah. That's disappointing. But anyway.
CHUCK TODD:
I wish I had more time.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Let me just say one more thing.
CHUCK TODD:
I'm always for more--
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
I have to say one more thing.
CHUCK TODD:
Go to my bosses, ask for two hours.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
I've got to thank--
CHUCK TODD:
I'll take it.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
--our firefighters and our first responders in California for what they did in the fires. Our Thanksgiving, we prayed for them as a blessing to us. And wishing their families the best.
CHUCK TODD:
A worthy last word. Thank you very much.
REP. NANCY PELOSI:
Thank you. Bye-bye.
Voting is beautiful, be beautiful ~ vote.©

No comments: