Monday, December 21, 2015

The Price Of Santa's Lap: The Real War On Christmas

This is a true Christmas story and it eerily foreshadowed the current political culture of those who claim there is a war on Christmas.

December 13, 2001

The Friends of the Detroit Public Library, Inc.
5201 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202

Dear Friends,

The 33rd annual Noel Night at the Detroit Public Library brought back precious memories for me as a child, listening to the yuletide chamber music and the wonderful enthusiasm of the brought-to-life story book characters. Even the merriment of the Klezmer student ensemble was a wonderful treat for the children of Detroit to experience. Unfortunately, there was one thing I did not recall as a child: purchasing the right to sit on Santa’s lap.

This was my youngest son’s first time in his life to sit on Santa’s lap and tell him all the toys he wanted for Christmas. Needless to say, the excitement was overwhelming for him when the volunteer staff announced that Santa was ready to meet the children. My eldest son, 11, took his younger brother by the hand and quickly scurried to be the third persons in line to meet Santa. I stood, anxiously, at Santa’s side to hear my children’s Christmas desires and to perpetuate the belief of Ole Saint Nick.

My little boy jumped onto Santa’s lap with the most lighted eyes I have seen in quite some time. My oldest son stood by to make sure his brother did not fall off Santa’s lap. I hovered closely over the scene, so that I may enshrine it in my memories and pass on the stories to my grandchildren. Out of both their mouths were holiday greetings, but Santa responded, “Where’s your picture frame?” With dismissive smiles the boys were prepared to tell Santa what they wanted for Christmas when Santa pushed my youngest from his lap and told the boys that they had to have purchased a picture frame.

My oldest son stood there in shock. My youngest attempted to climb back up into Santa’s lap, only to be met with, “Get off, you did not buy a picture.” I do not ever think I will be able to put into words the pain I experienced ~ but I will try.

Close your eyes and imagine a six year old innocent, with blood red eyes from holding back his tears, tell his mother, “Santa is only for the rich people”. Continue seeing this moment in your soul by envisioning an 11 year old, who, instantaneously morphed into a young man, stoically vow to his mother, “I will never celebrate Christmas again.”

My duty as a mother and an analyst was to first, investigate. I was informed that the “Pictures with Santa” was a fundraising event and the purchase of pictures was mandatory to sit on Santa’s lap. I inquired as to why no one had stated anything prior to the children getting in line. I asked why there was no sign expressing this policy. I probed into the reasons behind the economic discrimination and why there was no alternative for parents who could not afford the 4 dollar fee (there was no notification that this was to be a donation and no receipts for tax purposes were provided). The replies were uniform: “Hey, we just volunteer, here.”

The purpose of this letter is to further research into the economic discrimination of the right to sit on Santa’s lap. I purport it was process of weeding the children of residents, who hail from the nation’s most impoverished major city, to ensure a seat in Santa’s lap for the children of prospective Detroit residents, who can contribute to the economic tax base of the city. I will set my alternative hypothesis as poor organization because no other organization did this.

Is this what The Friends of the Detroit Public Library consider to be “A vision for the future”, and “Laying the groundwork for the community”? I am, currently, not financially able “To join your circle of friends”, but I am able to offer my skills, knowledge, and abilities to consult for any future fundraising activities you will have. I would like to ensure the inclusiveness of Detroit, Public, and Library.

The Friends responded by sending two t-shirts, which were too small, and an honorary year-long membership to become a Friend of the Detroit Public Library, for whatever that meant.

Christmas is expensive and terribly painful if one is poor.

Instead of giving an empty holiday greeting or a plastic toy present which will break in a few hours, how about society gets together by giving the parents training and a job that pays a living wage, investment opportunities to start a business, access to quality and affordable housing, or simply creating the ability to feed a child healthy and nutritious food for the next year so they may finally be able to flourish in a productive learning environment?

Think twice before you attack someone who does not celebrate Christmas.

Merry Christmas,

Voting is beautiful, be beautiful ~ vote.©

No comments: