Sunday, November 13, 2011

Michele Bachmann On Jerry Sandusky Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal: I'd 'Beat Him To A Pulp'

Well, if she feels like this, then why won't she stand up and do something about the children being beaten, raped, murdered and drugged everyday in foster care?


Michele Bachmann On Jerry Sandusky Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal: I'd 'Beat Him To A Pulp'









Visit msnbc.com for breaking newsworld news, and news about the economy
DAVID GREGORY:
Joining me now, Republican presidential candidate, Congresswoman of Minnesota, Michelle Bachmann. Congresswoman Bachmann-- welcome back.
REP. MICHELE BACHMANN:
Thank you, David. Good to be with you this morning.
DAVID GREGORY:
There's a lot to discuss on the campaign trail. But I have to ask you first about this horrible event, series of events, at Penn State, and ask you whether you think, as a national figure, whether there is a role for Congress to play in investigating this, where you think the national conversation has to go from here on what has happened at Penn State.
REP. MICHELE BACHMANN:
Well, this is a national conversation. And the lens that I look at this through is as a mother. I'm a mother of five biological children and 23 foster children. And my heart, I think, is reflective of that of the American people. This is so horrific. On the level of a parent, I think about my children. If that was my child.
And I think my automatic reaction would be, even though I'm a small woman, I'd want to go find that guy and beat him to a pulp. I think that's what any parent would want to do when they think about their child. But clearly, this is very (UNINTEL) now, as it should be. And I have no doubt that this level of scrutiny, justice will be done. And this is a state matter. It needs to stay at the state level. And I think that it's good that the media's paying a lot of attention to this, because this should never happen to any child.
DAVID GREGORY:
Just one more on this. You say it's a state matter. As you know, the Department of Education is looking into this, as well, to see if there is an area where federal law applies. Do you think it's a matter for Congress to get involved? And as you know, Congress can look at anything. They did in terms of steroids. They could look at it in terms of institutional abuse or a conspiracy of silence.
REP. MICHELE BACHMANN:
Well, I think that the pendulum swings, and when something horrific happens, people's automatic reaction is, "Somebody needs to do something." But it doesn't necessarily mean that this issue should be kicked up to Congress. I really do believe this needs to stay exactly in the jurisdiction where the offense occurred. Congress has a lot of other things to pay attention to. But I think this needs to be handled. And again, I think this is one place that the media gets beaten up a lot, but I think this is exactly where the media is needed more than ever, is to bring light on this situation. That's the best thing that can be done.

No comments: