Sunday, June 21, 2009

And Then The Bat Ran...


The initials of my forename are B.A., making it a playful theme as "the bat ran". This theme shall be the name of my youngest son's first literary publication, rightfully entitled: "The Bat Ran".

I am quite sure there are many individuals who are curious as to why I have chosen to run for the public office of Hamtramck City Council. Now is my time to share with you my passion:

It is really quite simple; I am running not only for my children, but for all children. I have never been one to run away from a confrontation, as I do greatly enjoy and encourage dissent, for it is part of the democratic process and a core component of scientific methodology. A theory may only stand the test of time if it can withstand rigorous and robust challenges.

The theory I challenge is that children may not participate in the political process.

Many of you may not know that the national landscape in dealing with matters of family is quickly changing due to the fact that the world is getting smaller, rather we are coming closer together. Hamtramck, with its rich international social fabric, has historically been a unique and progressive municipality in its structure of government. Many families move to this city for the small town comfort of raising a family.

From my research, there are only two instances of the term "children" in the city ordinances I have been able to review, and that term was used as a descriptive for day care facility. No one is willing to listen to our children, and this is the reason I am running for office: to give children a voice, to give the parents opportunities.

I would like to start a junior government. This is how it would work:
  • The children will have to abide by current campaign laws of the State of Michigan.
  • They will solicit signatures in each of their respective schools and submit them to a designated student clerk.
  • Then, they will have to generate campaign material, where the focus will be a green/recycling campaign.
  • Each student voter will have to go through a mock voter registration process in their classrooms.
  • Each school will hold a primary election. The top 4 candidates would advance to the general election.
  • The top 2 students from each school will make it to the junior city council.
  • There will be a similar process for the position of junior Mayor and Junior Judge.
  • Youth will be able to address their concerns and solve them.
  • The junior government may then report their activities and suggestions directly to the City Council.
  • Each elected Councilperson will directly mentor the junior government.
  • There would be a junior police mentoring program.
  • These activities may become incorporated into school credit coursework.
In one fell swoop, we would be picking up the task of civic education while encouraging community participation, as this would end up to be a family activity.

I am attempting to run my campaign as a recycling/low-cost process. My business cards were designed by the top political campaign director in the country, Liam Tran, age 9. My campaign literature was printed by a Hamtramck friend who offered the use of his printer and his leftover supplies. My campaign signs, that have been stolen, (the same exact day my car was stolen, as I shall assume for the esoteric value), were made by using old political campaign material I have been collecting throughout the years and old cardboard, clear packaging tape, old hangers, crayons and markers. My campaign headquarters, located at 9725 Conant/Bangledesh Ave., Tristate TaeKwon-Do Federation, in the city, was offered for use by the Grand Master. I just do not see the logic in dropping thousands of dollars in campaign material when the city is suffering economic hardship. It almost seems like a slap in the face of the families struggling through this economic transition.

And then, the bat ran...

No comments: